Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm Almost a Mrs....

That is so strange.  I am so excited to be marrying my best friend and frankly, the best person I know on this earth, but I'm a little sad that I'll be losing my "maiden" name.  (Quick side tangent, stay with me here:  Have you ever stopped to think about the phrase "maiden name"?  Because I did this weekend and when I actually gave it some thought I had quite a literal picture pop into my head of a young maiden who all of a sudden is an old maid.  Anyone else? ... nope?  Just me?  Ok then.)

It's not that I'm super attached to my name... it's not a bad name at all, I just never really gave it any serious thought beyond this is my name and it connects me to my ancestors and identifies me from other Heathers out there.  And now all of a sudden I'm like how do I preserve my maiden name so it doesn't get lost for time and all eternity!?  Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to take BF's name, but I'm waxing nostalgic about my own last name.  I'm contemplating getting my family crest in a necklace or ring to wear... or maybe a new tattoo is in order? 

Also, it is already raising issues at work.  Because I am taking time off before the wedding I requested a new name plate and a name change on our roster so that when I return it'll already be done.  We abbreviate most people's names around here and on our upcoming conference roster we have everyone's initials next to their conference responsibilities.  In a meeting the other day one of my coworkers was talking about how we've divided up the work and then paused mid sentence for a few seconds and then continued with, "I see that we've given H.F. a few things to do, but I've never met them!  Who is that?".  Followed by the silence of me not realizing that those were MY initials and that we had already changed my name on this list as well. 

But really everything is going well and BF and I have finished the last of our little "to do's" before the wedding so we are literally just waiting to get to the wedding and be married.  

11 Days!

No comments: